Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Just Celebrated My 10 Year Anniversary And I am Feeling Nostalgic. Damn, I Must Be Getting Old.

(me and my friends circa 1995)

So it is NOT exactly us, it is a still from Reality Bites, but if you look quickly out of the corner of your eye, it's us. When I first saw Reality Bites, I hated it. How could a movie stereotype my generation like that? And make us seem like such dorks while doing it? I saw this movie again a few years ago and laughed my ass off because this movie WAS US. We dressed like that and drank like that and I even carried around a hi-8 video camera documenting our oh-so important life happenings or making short movies about how depressing Las Vegas is and everything was SOOO serious and we were going to change the world with our new technologies and the internet would unite us all. Cause how could there be war when you can be in touch with the whole universe just by uploading some video to your computer? God, we were soooo naive. Good Times.
More walks down memory lane to come...

14 comments:

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I'm a dork and I'm proud. Congrats on your 10 year anniversary. That's truly awesome!!!

Existential Waitress said...

Sooooo true about Reality Bites. I remember thinking at the time that the people in this movie were such pretentious posers. I think they call that "mirroring." I've seen it within the last few years too and totally related for the first time. Those were some good times though. Ah, the memories of youth...(I'm freaking out that this is THAT long ago now. holy shit I'm thirty FUCKING five years old now)!!!!!!!

Amy said...

Hell, I turn 37 this year!!!!

Brilliant Sulk said...

You hit the nail on the head with one!

Haven't seen this movie in a few years. Must go rent it now...

Unknown said...

Funny because I happened upon this on tv a few weeks ago, too. Only I LOVED it when it came out. LOL

Tracie said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

Reality Bites was one of my favorite movies for the longest time. I still listen to the soundtrack quite a bit.

GratefulTwinMom said...

My favorite part of that movie was the Super Big Gulp. I have consumed more Diet Coke from a Super Big Gulp than I care to mention. Congratulations on your anniversary and your upcoming 37th birthday!

Existential Waitress said...

I am looking forward to more walks down memory lane - pray tell, what do you have in store?!

Amy said...

I'm workin' on a little something special involving a puke bowl. If I ever get the time to sit down and finish writing it.

Existential Waitress said...

By that do you mean you and Big D's first date? B/c that sure an oldie but goodie!

Amy said...

you guessed it!

Existential Waitress said...

I'm so excited - I can't wait! Funny, but one of the unfinished drafts I've been meaning to get to is about the first time I met Carl's mom from PA and how I passed out drunk on her. Until just now, I never even correlated the fact that the first time I met Jason's mom, we were crashed out on her livingroom floor (I'm pretty sure I'd been drinking then too). What a charming addition I make to any family, no?

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary!!! !0 years! Wow!

I love Reality Bites! It cracks me up as well:)

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

That is one of my favorite movies ever!! Have you seen the Breakfast Club,and St Elmos fire?