Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Magic Boobs

Nola had her first ride in an airplane a couple weeks ago when we went to Colorado to visit family and friends. Now, Nola is the baby who does not like to sit still. She hates her car seat, her highchair, and will only sometimes tolerate the stroller. To say I was concerned about how she would handle the confinement of the airplane is an understatement. I did have a plan. I was going to try to nurse her to sleep when the plane started to take off. Well, we boarded the plane and Nola was very excited. She became the self appointed welcoming committee, saying hi to every passenger boarding. It was really cute but filled me with trepidation that she would be spending the rest of the flight walking up and down the aisle saying hi the entire flight. But I stayed calm let her play while the flight prepared for take-off and then pulled her to the boob at takeoff and yes, she fell asleep. She woke up a few times but latched on and nursed back to sleep. We did the same routine on the flight home. And it worked like a charm. It is times like these that I am glad I am still nursing. I felt triumphant like my boobs had magical mystical powers.

I keep this in mind when I am wishing my boobaholic daughter would enter rehab and come out a reformed milk drinker.

4 comments:

Existential Waitress said...

It's funny b/c her temperament sounds so much like Maggie's. I'm glad that your first flight with Nola was a success.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Lucky you! It can be nerve killing to travel with such a young child. I'm glad it went smoothly for you!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

well, magic boobs is very apropos and congrats on your possession of them!

thanks for visiting me at the crib! visiting you back and now a new follower!

Amy said...

Thanks Speaking From The Crib. Love your blog.